Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Preston's Gladiator Hat

Every summer on Labor Day my family plays croquet wearing silly hats. It's now a major family tradition. For Preston's very first croquet tournament I decided he needed a really special hat. We could have gone the tradition route and bought something super cute, but apparently their isn't a huge market for silly hats for infants! I needed to make my own.
It took me a while to decide what to make. I looked up silly hats, famous hats, costume hats, famous hat designers, etc. I finally came across this hat:

And I was hooked! I knew Preston needed to be a Gladiator; it would be silliness to the extreme.
I did some more searching for inspiration, and so that I could visualize a pattern. I found this image. Pay no attention to the creepy model.
Hurricane Irene came through, leaving us homebound on a Sunday, so it was the perfect day to make a hat! I took all sorts of measurements of Preston's head, made a model of the red-plume seam out of a hanger, and I made a pattern out of wrapping paper.
I bought gold fabric and red fluffy fabric, but so as not to waste the good stuff I made a mock-up out of some scrap. I was pretty satisfied after the first try. What can I say, I get things right. So then I jumped right in to the good stuff.
It took me ALL day, but I think the result was well worth it!

4 comments:

  1. We could accept gone the attitude avenue and bought something cool cute, but allegedly their isn't a huge bazaar for asinine hats for infants! I bare to accomplish my own.

    Cowboy Hat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a red and gold cloth fabric fluffy, but not to lose the good things that I made a model of certain wastes. I was quite happy after the first try.

    remedios impotencia

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabric used on the inner edge of the lid to help absorb sweat and keep your hat looking clean and dry.

    Powdered Drain Maintainer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie,

    I would like to get in touch with you about one of your blog domains, how would I go about doing this?

    ReplyDelete